Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

My photography

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 04:35 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 09:35 PM #1 of 8
My photography

Last thursday I borrowed an SLR (a kind of film camera for those who don't know) from the school darkroom. I left the negatives in the camera by accident, and hey, the guy who runs the darkroom kindly took them to get developed. So, here's a little catalogue of my stuff, and the environment I live in.

Memorial Court. I decided to take an interesting angle on the World War I memorial near the main school gate.

The Memorial Garden. Opposite side of campus - There's an identical memorial here in a nice garden setting.

Mint Yard. The memorial from the first picture is just behind the point from which this photo was taken.

That Cat. I'm not entirely sure who she belongs to, but a cat's always an ample oppurtunity for a photograph.

Spires. View of the cathedral from the cloisters. Thought I'd take it at that angle to add drama to the photo - It was kind of lost when I butchered it scanning it in.

The Dean's Door. Door leading to a pretty pathetic garden which leads to the Deanery. Nice from one side, pretty grim from the side I didn't photograph.

Triangle Houses. So-called because they're arranged in a triangle. Eastern end of the cathedral is visible here.

The last three photos are ones I developed myself...

Within The Cloisters. Three tombs and some windows. I like the different angles and perspectives in this one.

Skewed Memorial. Another take on the memorial garden.

Home. The arch is part of a ruined monastery, and my dorm lies just behind it.

Thoughts? This is honestly one of the first few times I've done something like this.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Krelian; May 19, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 05:22 PM #2 of 8
Pretty cool stuff, they have kind of an eerie feel to them .

I especially like that last one "Home." The first one is pretty sweet, too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

FGSFDS!!!
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 06:02 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 04:02 PM #3 of 8
I think you need more contrast. Try using a higher contrast filter cause as they are now, the mid-tones are too close together and it makes the image look kind of flat.

I liked the repetition you used in the 'Cloister' image however; I think the corridor is too dark. If you wanted to work on that image more, you could dodge that section to lighten it up a bit.

So yea, basically more contrast.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 05:45 AM Local time: May 14, 2006, 10:45 AM #4 of 8
I have another copy of the cloister photograph that I'll probably put up later - It's one that I didn't develop myself, but the columns in the archways are more visible.

I'll probably run them all through photoshop once I have my computer back.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 01:39 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 01:39 AM #5 of 8
I definitely agree with more constrast. Get those highlights and shadows in the picture; it will make a snapshot look like art. Also, I recommend some more interesting perspectives. Seems like you took everything as if you're standing, have you ever wondered what it would've looked like if you were laying down, or standing right next to an object, for example? Fiddle around with many angles and you're bound to find an interesting photo.

I also believe the lack of contrast may be the fault of the developer. It could be he underexposed the print itself. Anyway, with Photoshop these days it could be remedied pretty easily, but I'm just a fan of having the original (or print) just the way you like it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 01:45 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 11:45 PM #6 of 8
The sky is very light in all of those. Were you using orthochromatic film? Well, maybe not, the foliage would have been lighter and the brick would have been darker. But it sort of looks like it, and I like the effect.

How ya doing, buddy?

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 05:41 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 10:41 AM #7 of 8
As for interesting angles, this one is the only one I deliberately "arted-up". This, however, involved perching precariously on a mound of stone in the cloisters and desperately trying to get the right photo - If I'd been holding the camera a tiny bit higher, the top of the tower would have been blocked out by the top of the arch I was beneath.

I've kept the negatives. I'll try redeveloping them when the darkroom is open again on thursday.

Most amazing jew boots
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: May 16, 2006, 10:08 PM #8 of 8
Those both do have good angles. Have you thought of dodging and burning? If you do a search, you can definitely use that to your advantage when developing.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > My photography