Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Net Connection Bridging through laptop.

Jay Fox R.W.S.
Carob Nut

Member 118

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:46 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:46 AM #1 of 3
Net Connection Bridging through laptop.

**Note: This is more of a record of an experiment than a request for help, but if you have any useful advice I'd appreciate it.**

Even though this involves an Xbox 360, I still think it belongs here because it has a lot to do with DNS configuring and IP addresses.

So here's my situation. My net connection is fed through a wireless router downstairs to the laptop in my bedroom. I know the connection quality is good because I can play online games with no lag on my bedroom laptop.

I just got an Xbox 360 and didn't want to pay €85 for the wireless adaptor accessory just to use Xbox Live, so I had an idea. I connected the 360 via Ethernet LAN cable to my laptop and setup wireless bridging between my laptops wireless adaptor and its Ethernet port.

I ran network diagnostics on the 360 and it passed the IP test, but failed the DNS test. I have a feeling I just need to fill in some extra ISP details somewhere in the config to get it running, but since it's very late here, I'll continue testing tomorrow.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Jay Fox R.W.S.; Mar 11, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:13 PM #2 of 3
I did this at a friend's house but the bridge for some reason disabled his wireless connection on the computer- so I tried Internet Connection Sharing instead and that worked. I'm glad; I didn't want to mess with settings for things I have no clue of.

Actually I run a usb cable from my dsl modem to my laptop, then the ethernet cable to the 360 with a bridge enabled- didn't have to make any adjustments to anything. Now WMC is another story...

But, yeah, try ICS- is there a difference between the two?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jay Fox R.W.S.
Carob Nut

Member 118

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 08:20 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 02:20 AM #3 of 3
I guess the bridge method might be a bit complicated. I thought Internet Connection Sharing requires computers with the same OS or compatible. Not games consoles.

Edit

I set up Internet Connection Sharing and it just works now. Weird. Thanks.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Jay Fox R.W.S.; Mar 11, 2006 at 09:06 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Net Connection Bridging through laptop.