Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] CLOVER: The guys that brought you Okami and Godhand, to DISBAND!

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 05:00 PM #51 of 61
That's cause you make it up as you go along.

No, the franchises are owned by Capcom. Source.
Thanks, Skills. Looks like Capcom is free to make new Okami/VJ games. Imagine if they made a sequel look like the old scrapped look for Amaterasu that one of the kamic transformers gives you.

Well, we can keep an eye on Seeds, because there's definitely talent there. Who knows if another Okami-caliber title will be produced by them? Unlikely unless someone picks them up and they avoid making Japan-only DS/PS2 games.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 05:10 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2007, 04:10 PM #52 of 61
In before complaining about the source.

Quote:
[UPDATE] Until Clover's doors are closed for good in March 2007, the Capcom representative said that the remaining staff will be busy working on the PAL versions of Okami and God Hand. She also confirmed that Capcom retains all the intellectual property rights to Clover's games.
Source

Quote:
-- CLOVER LEAVES: Capcom's "Okami" is one of those games that's so good that as soon as you finish it, you're ready for the sequel. Unfortunately, Capcom has decided to shut down Clover Studios, the in-house group responsible for "Okami" as well as the bizarre brawlers "Viewtiful Joe" and "God Hand." Given the overwhelming critical hosannas for "Okami," many were surprised that Capcom would break up the team -- but it turned out that major talents Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya had left a while ago anyway. They won't be developing another "Okami" title -- Capcom retains the intellectual- property rights.
Source

Quote:
Now, in your own words, why did Clover close? Did it close because it didn’t generate enough revenue or because key designers left?

Well, you know it’s an interesting question when you think, “What was Clover?” Now, Clover was a Capcom studio that was physically located in the R&D building in Osaka, Japan, and it was absolutely a Capcom-owned studio. Totally. But in many ways, all that has happened is that two individuals have left the company. The IP of Clover is part of Capcom and always was. …
Source

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 05:15 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2007, 05:15 PM #53 of 61
Dammit you guys. I was having high hopes about an Okami sequel. Way to shut me down .
Quote:
The IP of Clover is part of Capcom and always was.
Yeah. I don't want to sound dumb, but what's an 'IP'?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 05:19 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2007, 04:19 PM #54 of 61
Intellectual property.

It doesn't mean no sequels. It just means no sequels done by the same guys. Capcom can get an intern to write a sequel on his coffee break for the N-GAGE if they want, for example.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 05:21 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2007, 02:21 PM #55 of 61
Intellectual Property. It's the fancy term for either "game" or "potential franchise" when talking about game titles.

Edit: Aw, beaten. Yeah, Seeds is pretty much just doing new stuff now. Fine by me, there need to be more non-franchise titles out there.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Cobalt Katze; Feb 17, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 05:41 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2007, 11:41 AM #56 of 61
Quote:
It just means no sequels done by the same guys.
Let me get this straight. Are you saying a studio consisting of Capcom employees (including 2 director's from the Resident Evil series), governed by Inaba, who made Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and God Hand, won't be able to create sequels?

All they've done is form another studio. It doesn't mean they can't work under Capcom or not. It would be real inconsistent and irresponsible of Capcom to disallow creators who are recuperating from a large loss in (or their lackof) profit to continue with their work.

In saying that I highly doubt there will be a sequel to Okami. God Hand and Okami are unique games and totally different in their own ways. Maybe a prequel where you played as Shiranui, but sequels have so much fanbase pressure from their original title it's possible it'd sell even more poorly than the first. (See Valkyrie Profile 2, Tales series, Halo 2, etc.)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:09 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2007, 05:09 PM #57 of 61
You do realize Clover was an internal house of Capcom's, right? Ala Overworks and Sega.

Same guys implies same team, and it's unlikely that a team that's now independant of Capcom will again work on one of the IPs they no longer control. I doubt we'll see any VJ or Okami sequels at all, from anyone, but that's just a personal assumption and I have no way of knowing for sure. Weither or not they partner up with Capcom again has yet to be seen.

And you're wrong again on sales numbers, by the way. As of March 2006, Halo 2 has sold about 8 million copies, and Halo the first sits at about 5. Later Tales games like Symphonia have sold siginficantly more than the earlier games like the Destiny games on PS1. I can't find any solid, backupable numbers on VP2, but it would have to flop to sell less than ehe 40-odd thousand copies the first one moved.

Perhaps you mean are less fun instead of selling more poorly, since I'll agree that the first Halo, Tales of Phantasia, and especially Valkyrie Profile are better than their sequels.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 06:38 PM Local time: Feb 18, 2007, 12:38 PM #58 of 61
What I meant was sequels are usually purchased from hype and expectation.

This is why I said a prequel might work. Playing as Shiranui accompanied by Kamiki in the way that Amaterasu had whatshisface. Then again, even this situation doesn't pan out because prequels aren't always as good as their original titles (ICO, SotC).

What I'm trying to say is that there'd be a lot riding on a sequel (or prequel, whatever) due to the fanbase and people wanting it to live up to the original. People are bound to be disappointed with something. I wouldn't rule out a sequel jus yet but I wouldn't get your hopes up either.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:57 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2007, 03:57 PM #59 of 61
So Elixir replying Senko no ronde to a guy who asks what will their first project makes me retarded? Sorry for me not knowing the publisher of every obscure shooter out there.

Also why aren't you banned yet fuckface?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 09:28 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 03:28 AM #60 of 61
I said this was the second best news I've heard this month. He asked what the first was. I answered.

Try to keep up.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:17 AM Local time: Feb 18, 2007, 06:17 PM #61 of 61
Ok my bad then. Must have been half sleeping when I read that.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] CLOVER: The guys that brought you Okami and Godhand, to DISBAND!