Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Britain's new internet law. Fanflippingtastic.

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:04 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2010, 10:04 AM 1 #76 of 88
I know I'm bumping an old thread but I'd rather do this then make a new topic

Digital Economy Bill: Quick Guide To All 45 Measures

Quote:
#2: Ofcom must produce reports on the state of network infrastructure and internet domain name registration.

#3: In those reports, Ofcom must also report on how TV, radio, on-demand and other editorialised websites contribute to public service objectives.

Illegal downloads

#4: After apparent copyright abuse, copyright holders can send a “copyright infringement report” to ISPs with evidence of the downloading, within one month of the alleged incident. The ISP must notify its subscriber within a month, providing evidence and information about appeals and legal advice.

Domain names

#19: The govt can notify domain name registry if it thinks they are seriously failing, after reading Ofcom’s report (#2).

#20: The govt can install its own manager at a failing domain name registry.

#21: The govt can apply for a court order altering the constitution of failing domain name registry.
Sounds like they're going to keep a close eye on popular english websites or will this cover everything UK owned? In any case I can't see them being able to keep up with it short of blocking stuff like *shudder* Korea and Australia.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:20 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2010, 11:20 AM #77 of 88
I think the most important point is point 4 which essentially says that it's up to Copyright holders to make the first move when they think people are ripping them off, rather than putting the onus on the ISPs as was originally touted. As Copyright holders have no legal right to look at what websites I'm looking at, that clause effectively stymies all the rest of the anti-piracy measures. Whoever put that in was quite brilliant really as the bill would have been laughed out of the house in it's original form. All the new bill really achieves now is making computer game ratings compulsary and allowing for a system other than the BBFC ratings to be used (One assumes PEGI, although that'll confuse more idiotic parents than it'll help), forces Channel 4 to make some kids programmes and allows their online stuff to come out of their programming budget and all that domain crap is just to make sure that companies take some contact details when they're selling HSBCbank.eu to Nigerian scammers.

Most MPs hated the original document, the one that got approved is seriously watered down from that. Also, Commons approval doesn't make it law and it's unlikely to get through the Lords in four weeks, meaning that the new government we'll have in May can just tear it up if they want and I believe the LibDems are pretty heavily against this so axeing it may well form part of their coalition demands.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:48 AM 1 #78 of 88
Benjamin please
how's it going

Member 48

Level 16.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:17 PM #79 of 88
Lehah posting in another thread where he's smarter, richer, and better looking than everyone. This is new.

Keep the change, kid.

FELIPE NO
<a_lurker|laptop> I think your car died too.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:36 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2010, 05:36 PM #80 of 88
@ Lehah's link, England owning itself because of law contradictions? Why am I not surprised.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:27 PM #81 of 88
Lehah posting in another thread where he's smarter, richer, and better looking than everyone. This is new.
WAY TO JUMP IN WITH THAT SEVERAL MONTHS LATE

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Britain's new internet law. Fanflippingtastic.