Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 98 Voting/WEEK 99 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:55 PM #1 of 36
Song of the Week - WEEK 98 Voting/WEEK 99 Nominating

Week 98 Voting is closed.
Week 99 Nominating is restricted.

Week 98 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Results:
1). [31] FX3 - Choppastyle
2). [18/10.5] Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you
3). [18/10] Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle
4). [13] Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth
5). [12] Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys! -Arrange ver.-
6). [10] Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban - Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns
7). [7] ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A
8). [5] Atelier Iris GRAND FANTASM Original Soundtrack - Grand Fantasm

Tracks (links):
Atelier Iris GRAND FANTASM Original Soundtrack - Grand Fantasm
FX3 - Choppastyle
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you
Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle
Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth
Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban/Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns
ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A
Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys! -Arrange ver.-

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 99 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum:
- Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Jun 25, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:26 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 01:26 AM #2 of 36
Grand Fantasm wasn't interesting enough, didn't have an inventive quality that could pull me in.

You is too simple for me. Nice but too normal.

Treasure Hunter Lyle. Not my thing.

Wanlong Mamoth. Sorry, not my thing.

Mount Hiei Burns. I just love the ending progression: 3 times repetition of a chord progression I especially like. It starts at 2:06!

Choppastyle amazes me how bad sound can still give such nice and cute things.

Level 4A. Worthy sounds but uninteresting melody.

Be Ambitious Guys. Nice soothing song with the kind of guitars I like.

3 points: Be Ambitious Guys
2 points: Choppastyle
1 point: You

Nomination:

Artist: Satoru Kosaki
Game: Kotoba no Puzzle Moji-Pittan
Track: 11 Bedtime Puzzler
Year: march 2006
Catalog number: PCCR-90020

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by katchum; Jun 19, 2007 at 06:43 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:43 AM #3 of 36
Before I take care of anything else, I'm gonna throw up a new nomination.

Album: Space Channel 5 Part 2 Uki Uki ★ Non Stop Megamix
Title: "This is My Happiness (Tom Jones A-Go Go Mix)"
Track Number:14
Composer: Tetsuto Yoshida
Year: 2002
Catalog Number: MJCG-80097
Source: Chudah's Corner
Additional Notes: A vocal track, yes, but they're in English, they're surprisingly decent, and it's a song that's so incredibly unique and addicting that it must be nominated.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:10 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2007, 11:10 PM #4 of 36
Since the first round of the BSC is finishing up very shortly (Dr. Uzuki = speed demon), I'm going to try to go for a normal week here this week instead of extending it again. Unless we run low on voters again!

Also, I've made polls about the two issues brought up last week.

PLEASE READ AND VOTE HERE:
Definition of "Professional VGM Composer"
Original Piece Time Restriction

They'll close in a week, so drop it like it's hot.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Jun 21, 2007 at 10:24 AM.
aviness
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 22643

Level 3.20

Jun 2007

Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:13 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 02:13 AM #5 of 36
Heh, I will just nominate for now, the BSC second round is eating up all my voting time for now... whew!

Artist: Icarus Watanabe
Composer: Falcom Sound Team JDK
Album: Gurumin Original Soundtrack
Title: Guruguru Tonight
Disc Number: 1 (of 2)
Track Number: 1
Year: 2005
Catalog Number: GRM-OST1/2
Source: Game Music Revolution
Additional Notes: It is the opening song to the game Gurumin by Falcom. Apparently the album was never released for sale, but was only included in the limited editions of the game.

Oh and I realized that the link to the nomination rules have been changed to:
http://wiki.songoftheweek.info/index...on_Phase#Rules

And my votes are:
(3 points) You
(2 points) Be Ambitious Guys
(1 points) Grand Fantasm

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by aviness; Jun 24, 2007 at 03:44 PM.
goldsac
Big Ugly Supersized Eating Yutensils

Member 19148

Level 19.34

Feb 2007

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:39 PM #6 of 36
Nomination time..

Artist/Composer: Jeremy Soule
Album: The Secret of Evermore Complete Soundtrack
Title: White Castle Town
Track No: 20
Year: 1995
Catalog Number: N/A
Source: Chudah's Corner

Additional notes: I nominated this one after seeing the recent Soule interview. SOE is one of my fav. soundtracks, and why it got the reviews it got I have no idea. IMO Soule showed brilliance in his ability to walk the line between peaceful yet suspicious moods. But anyhoo..

As I said before, I'm not sure how iffy this track is re: obscurity level, but Crash made a good point earlier saying that this game wasn't really revered for its music. I'll be posting a link to the file later on, as I'm at work, mmmmkoy?

Here's the link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1bcau2

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not.

Last edited by goldsac; Jun 21, 2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: link to file
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:33 PM #7 of 36
Atelier Iris GRAND FANTASM Original Soundtrack - Grand Fantasm: I've heard this entire album, but "Grand Fantasm" never really stood out to me. I don't mind the ASIA influence, but the whole track still comes off as being average. Don't hate it but I don't love it.

FX3 - Choppastyle: This is pretty slick. Definitely reminds me of the chiptunes that Konami-owned Ultra Games produced for several years. I don't know much about Kaufman; perhaps he influenced that sound? Anyhow, this track is fun and exciting. Simple as that.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you: Can I assume this is from a Hentai game? I don't know much about the technical aspects of piano compositions, but from a purely aesthetic vantage, this is quite nice. Good emotion in this one.

Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle: My nomination, submitted because it's just a really cool track. No other reason. Good intro, cool hook, nice synthy feel, awesome nostalgia factor and a lot of character. Motoaki Takenouchi is a swell guy.

Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth: Different but what I've come to expect from the SSX series. It makes for some good background music because it has a strong beat and sounds interesting even when half-ignored because you are far too concerned with the IFFY STIFFY 540 to worry about your funk level. As a stand-alone piece, Wanlong Mammoth is acceptable. Not legendary, but there's far worse in the SSX catalog.

Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban/Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns: Yoko Kanno phoning it in again. Really, once you've heard tracks like "Dance On A Cape of Good Hope" and "Blue Whitecaps", this just feels flat. I much prefer Kanno's more flowing compositions over the spastic stuff like this.

ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A: Could this be the same team that did the music for Sonic Spinball? Sounds amazingly like it. This is near unmistakably Genesis music, but I've never heard of the game. It's still cool, well, the parts that sound like Sonic Spinball, anyhow. The filler between is less satisfying.

Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys! -Arrange ver.-: The beginning held promise, but the middle section felt too light. For a track whose name is "Be Ambitious, Guys!", you'd think something might happen, something that didn't feel like every stock "Happy Stroll Through a Sunshiny Field" RPG theme. If you define ambition as "wanting a nap", this is the song for you.

POINTS!

3 Points: Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle
1 Point: Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth
1 Point: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you
1 Point: FX3 - Choppastyle

FELIPE NO
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:48 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2007, 05:48 AM #8 of 36
Atelier Iris GRAND FANTASM Original Soundtrack - Grand Fantasm - I'm pretty impressed with all these Atelier Iris tracks that are popping up in SotW. They're quality stuff. This track, in particular, has nice instrumentation, mood and atmosphere. I guess you could consider it a feel-good track, because as soon as that fluffy woodwind melody kicks in, you just can't help but smile, forget all your worries and feel good. ^__^

FX3 - Choppastyle - Time for some ROCKIN' NES action! And this tune delivers. I really liked those "riff" sounds, as they're the coolest sounds to be ever heard from the NES. The melody is catchy as hell, especially the "chorus" bit. Listening to this seems to give me visions of great NES games and their catchy music, such as Batman and TMNT. Jacob Kaufman rules.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you - The piano here is solemnly romantic, and quite majestic-sounding. Latter half of the track is even nicer when the flutes and piano interchange passages. Not boring in the least (unlike a piano track in BSC bracket H that will remain unnamed).

Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle - More cool synth-rock action. Though less on the heavier side of things, and more of a quirky, heroic theme for the protagonist. I definitely remember the chiptune version from the game. Isn't the guy's name Nigel, btw? Must be a region thing, I guess.

Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth - Cool track, though the repetitive nature was a turn-off for me. I think it would be nice background music when going down snow slopes fast or something.

Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban - Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns - Kanno is usually a hit or miss wit me. Unfortunately, this was a miss. I know she has the talent to write beautiful music with touches of ethnicity, such as this piece. Though it was lacking for some reason.

ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A - The intro with those percussions and bits of ambience was awesome and sounded promising. The melody proper was limp and not as interesting, but still ok and enjoyable.

Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys! -Arrange ver. - This track was the least engaging of this week's bunch. It felt like anybody with basic knowledge of guitar strumming can be able to play this. I felt nothing after listening to this track.

The verdict!

2 points: Choppastyle
2 points: you
1 point: Grand Fantasm
1 point: Treasure Hunter Lyle

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:26 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 09:26 PM #9 of 36
FX3 - Choppastyle: This is pretty slick. Definitely reminds me of the chiptunes that Konami-owned Ultra Games produced for several years. I don't know much about Kaufman; perhaps he influenced that sound?
It'd actually be the other way around. FX3 came out this year.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you: Can I assume this is from a Hentai game?
It's actually a series of murder mystery games.

ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A: Could this be the same team that did the music for Sonic Spinball? Sounds amazingly like it.
Spinball was Howard Drossin; this is Matt Furniss and Shaun Hollingworth.

Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle - More cool synth-rock action. Though less on the heavier side of things, and more of a quirky, heroic theme for the protagonist. I definitely remember the chiptune version from the game. Isn't the guy's name Nigel, btw? Must be a region thing, I guess.
Yup. His name's Lyle in the Japan version (or Rairu or however it's Japanified), but it was changed to Nigel in the translation.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:40 PM #10 of 36
Atelier Iris GRAND FANTASM Original Soundtrack - Grand Fantasm Interesting oriental-style mashup. The melody's nice and the Nipponese Classique isn't overbearing and lacks bowel movement noises.

FX3 - Choppastyle Takes a while to wind up, but it's solid chiptunage once that point is reached. A little trilly, but very nice melodically.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you Ah, piano. I love a good piano-based track, and you delivers, you does. A bit sedate for people that need to have their eardrums blasted every second, but pleasant and enjoyable.

Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle More piano goodness, this time synthy and and accompanied by a 1980's ballad guitar. Some iffy parts, but very good overall.

Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth Sounds like a skipping CD more than anything else. Polish that sucker so the music rips right!

Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban/Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns Kanno is hit and miss for me, penning some remarkable stuff but just as often underachieving. Not terribly impressive melodically, and very sedate in a bad way.

ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A Meh. A bit to unstructured and chaotic for my taste, though the melody's nice when it's not being drowned out.

Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys! -Arrange ver.- I like the fact that there's acoustic guitar here, but I just wish it would be a little more, well, ambitious.

Good week. I was tempted to grease up the ol' shotgun, but decided against it.

The Point Spread
Choppastyle - 2 pts.
You - 2 pts.
Treasure Hunter L - 1 pt.
Le Grande Fantasme - 1 pt.

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:22 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 08:22 AM #11 of 36
Wow! Where did SotW crew go? Guess that goes for myself as well, I didn't even vote in 97 with its two week time span. Sorry guys, I've been playing Odin Sphere in all my free time busy.

FX3 - Choppastyle - 3 points
Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth - 2 points
ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A - 1 point

These chiptune surprises this week were hella nice. Was Choppastyle amazing enough to elevate over my own nomination? You bet it was. Treasure Hunter Lyle and Be Ambitious, Guys! are the honorable mentions. Ambitious may have a name that comes back to bite it in the ass, but it's light enough to float on a cloud (which is a <3 thing). The Landstalker track is great, but I think the slight cheese factor kept me from ranking it.

Mt. Hiei Burns started out well, but then the rest of the track started. Both parts are cool, but to my ears, it's a clash between the backbeat and strings.

Grand Fantasm is typical out of the Atelier Iris series and certainly not a stand out this week.

That "you" song resembles the Air track "Summer Lights" waaaay too much.

I may nominate something later. It will most likely be borderline admissible.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Jun 23, 2007 at 11:28 AM.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:09 PM #12 of 36
Mayhap another extension is in order...?

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:25 PM #13 of 36
2 points - FX3 - Choppastyle
2 points - Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth
2 points - ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A

All three of these songs were just dripping with awesome. I kind of want to give another one or two songs a point, but I couldn't decide which of these to take points away from.

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 06:52 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 12:52 PM #14 of 36
3 points ~ FX3 - Choppastyle

2 points ~ Landstalker The Emperor's Treasure - Treasure Hunter Lyle

1 point ~ Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys!

Let's hope that people will start voting soon, as I don't want another vote extension

How ya doing, buddy?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 09:42 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 10:42 PM #15 of 36
Nice selection. My votes for this week:

(2 points) FX3 - Choppastyle

(2 points) Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban - Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns

(1 point) Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys! -Arrange ver.-

(1 point) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you

Atelier Iris was very close to getting a point.

FELIPE NO
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Jun 24, 2007 at 09:54 AM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:47 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 02:47 PM #16 of 36
Ahhh, too many good tracks this week!

2 points
Choppastyle - I'm glad this track is doing so well. Some of you may know Kaufman better as virt, founder of VGMix (currently on hiatus, but nearing re-release). His work is distinct among most other Western composers in that it is very melody-centric and has a distinct energy to it, due to strong Konami influences as others have pointed out. And I've yet to hear anybody make chiptunes as ROCK'N as his (check out "Bedtime Story" on the same album for a great example of his signature chipwank). Also, I've mentioned this before, but I think the most impressive thing about this is that it was composed in an hour. O_o

Treasure Hunter Lyle - I gotta admit, I'm a sucker for the cheese. Tranquil and unassuming piano intro gives way to totally sweet guitar and synth. What more could you ask for?

1 point
Wanlong Mammoth - I've got a Wanlong Mammoth for ya riiight...errr, ahem. Vulgar euphemisms aside, pretty funky piece here. Think I'll give it a GROOVE BIAS point.

Mt. Hiei Burns - I'll be the first to proclaim my undying love for Ms. Kanno, but the accompaniment here got repetitive fairly quickly. Still, loved the violin and piano interplay.

0 points
Be Ambitious, Guys! - Best of the rest. Nice melody, relaxing guitar. It was hard choosing between this and Mt. Hiei, but whatev, a point either way isn't gonna matter too much.

you - Sweet little ditty...but maybe slightly too sweet and too little. The left hand accompaniment is about as lazy as you can get with piano pieces.

Grand Fantasm - This one's alright. Not a big fan of that reedy lead though.

Level 4A - Hrm...not bad I guess, but didn't strike me as notable either.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery

Last edited by Dhsu; Jun 24, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:01 PM #17 of 36
Another nice week of selections. Here is my point breakdown:

2 points : FX3 - Choppastyle
2 points : Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle
2 points : Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban/Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:20 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 02:20 PM #18 of 36
Mayhap another extension is in order...?
We've got 13 votes so far. I'll vote later, making it 14. I'm feeling okay about closing voting today instead of extending, unless other people want to see more votes. Perhaps it would be a good idea to figure out a minimum number of voters required before voting can close?

UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE LATER, ASSUME VOTING WILL CLOSE TONIGHT

Undertale (PC, 2015)
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:32 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 11:32 PM #19 of 36
The more, the better.

(3 points) Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban - Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns
(2 points) FX3 - Choppastyle
(1 point) Tick! Tack! Deluxe Soundtrack - Be Ambitious, Guys! -Arrange ver.

This is a nomination reserved long time ago.
  • Artist: Kentaro Haneda
  • Composer: Falcom Sound Team JDK
  • Album: Symphony Sorcerian
  • Title: Chapter 4: Cave I ~ Forest ~ King Dragon ~ Ending I
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 4
  • Year: 1989
  • Catalog Number: 276A-7707

SonicPanda
You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!

Member 5153

Level 23.81

Apr 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:36 PM #20 of 36
Ambitious may have a name that comes back to bite it in the ass, but it's light enough to float on a cloud (which is a <3 thing).
Yeah, about that.

The thing is, the original version of Be Ambitious, Guys! is a hoppy-boppy J-Poppy vocal of the usual sugary kind, and one of the things that inspired me to nominate the arranged version was how very different in tone it was to the original. I even thought that the number of people in the BSC mentioning, "I'd like this vocal if it were instrumental and not so squeaky and poppy," as a sign BAG had a good chance in SotW.

Oh, bitter irony.

DAMN good coffee!

September 2007: Waiting for Godot...
goldsac

Member 19148

Level 19.34

Feb 2007

Old Jun 24, 2007, 04:56 PM #21 of 36
I'm just in the process of listening to all the songs and I'll be voting pretty soon.

Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not.
arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 05:29 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 02:29 PM #22 of 36
Why does Treasure Hunter Lyle remind me of the old Dragon Ball Z theme?
Also, why are Kanno's anime compositions more intriguing than her VGM ones?

3pt: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Original Soundtrack - you
2pt: Landstalker ~The Emperor's Treasure~ - Treasure Hunter Lyle
1pt: FX3 - Choppastyle

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 05:52 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 02:52 PM #23 of 36
Nomination:

* Artist: (Assumed to be) Hitoshi Sakimoto (the composer credits for this game seem to also include Masaharu Iwata, Kimihiro Abe, Mitsuhiro Kaneda, and Manabu Namiki)
* Album: Odin Sphere (game rip)
* Title: Winterhorn Mountain - At War
* Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
* Track Number: N/A
* Year: 2007

Linky.

FELIPE NO

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
goldsac

Member 19148

Level 19.34

Feb 2007

Old Jun 24, 2007, 06:11 PM #24 of 36
Grand Fantasm - This one has a pretty adorable melody, I gotta say. It really took off too, from what initialy sounded like it was gonna be a general happy-go-lucky sound to a pretty big wall of sound (not too overbearing though). I can get into this song, and it'll probably get a point or two.

Choppastyle - This one rocks pretty damn hard when it kicks off. Takes me right back to the title intro of the first TMNT game for NES with that deep growling Konami guitar sound. All timbre/style prks aside though, I didn't get too much out of this one aside from the kick-off groove.

You - I felt this track the most upon the initial listens. Simple, yes; but I like the mixture of feels it gives off. It provides the intensity of the minor I-bVI-bVII, but by resolving on the major I7 to end it off makes it really beautiful. (Sorry for all the technical schmeese, that's just the way I like's to identify things sometimes). This one's the #1 of the week and it makes it into the keeper pile.

Treasure Hunter Lyle - What we hear is a total feel-good track, once it gets going that is. I'm not too sure how I feel about the intro, but beyond that this track sounds great. For some reason it reminds me of Gradius? I haven't played it in so long, so I'm not sure how valid that comment is. This one put a smile on my face, and will probably rank too.

Wanlong Mamoth - I can give this one a nod for the rhythmic aspect, but that's about it...the rest fails to deliver much enjoyment for me. Shame too, cause I usually like the funky side of things.

Mt. Hiei Burns - I'm probably not the first to find the accompaniment to be a drag on this one. Ostinato stuff can be really good as long as the stuff being endlessly repeated fails to tire the listener out. A really good melody could have dragged this one out of the mud too, but alas....this was not my type of thing.

Level 4A - Another funky track, which I found more enjoyable than Mamoth only because the groove was more appealing to me. Also, throwing the octave effect into the bass line is often a great way to solidify the groove factor. The only major beef I had with this one was the length, as I didn't really hear enough content to justfy >4 min.

Be Ambitious, Guys! - This track is extremely pleasant, almost to a fault. It's pretty well done for what it is, but falls just shy of making my rankings this time 'round. FWIW I can definitely see the appeal of this track, and it narrowly misses hitting my sweet spot.

3 pts - You
2 pts - Treasure Hunter Lyle
1 pts - Grand Fantasm

Honourable mention: Choppastyle

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 06:35 PM #25 of 36
Enjoying 5 out of 8 tracks is pretty rare for me, so props on a good week.

3 points: Music from SSX Blur - Wanlong Mamoth
2 points: Nobunaga's Ambition Zenkokuban/Sangokushi - Mt. Hiei Burns
1 point: ResQ (Game Rip) - Level 4A

"Choppastyle" could have used more directions and more hooks. Tick! Tack! Deluxe and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai were aight.

I enjoyed "Wanlong Mamoth" so much, I just blogged about it. Great energy the whole way.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 98 Voting/WEEK 99 Nominating