Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Brady makes too many PP threads

packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:33 PM #1 of 15
Brady makes too many PP threads

C-C-C-C-Combo breaker.

So apparently the "Center for American Progress" is of the opinion that the disparity between the number of "liberal" and "conservative" talk radio shows is completely independent of market forces, and is entirely because of legislative problems.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...alk_radio.html

Quote:
Our conclusion is that the gap between conservative and progressive talk radio is the result of multiple structural problems in the U.S. regulatory system, particularly the complete breakdown of the public trustee concept of broadcast, the elimination of clear public interest requirements for broadcasting, and the relaxation of ownership rules including the requirement of local participation in management.
The reason there is so much right-wing talk radio? THERE AREN'T ENOUGH LAWS!

So, naturally, our brave representatives on Capitol Hill have to fight the good fight for the American mind by shitting all over the first amendment, and regulate the content of the airwaves.
On a radio interview, Senator James Inhofe mentioned overhearing Senators Clinton and Boxer talking about devising a "legislative fix" for this "problem."
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c...onspire-to-rei
Their intentions have never been so clear.

So... about that Constitution...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by packrat; Jun 22, 2007 at 11:36 PM.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:28 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 10:28 PM #2 of 15
But the FCC already regulates the content of the airwaves, and frequently. If the FCC isn't going to let them be free, they might as well let them be even, I guess.

It doesn't help that most of the radio stations are owned by a couple of giant corporations who surely benefit from more conservative viewpoints.

I think these laws are stupid (didn't read the article, just going on your summary), but the idea that conservatives would be selective about what laws the FCC should have and what they shouldn't is pretty absurd.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 02:36 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 02:36 AM 1 #3 of 15
Maybe you people haven't considered that people don't want to actually hear liberal talk radio, which is why it consistently fails everytime it is introduced into the market.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 02:53 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 12:53 AM #4 of 15
Who wants to listen to anyone drone on and on about how poor and sad and sick everyone is when we can hear about bombs and people who want to kill us and people we want to kill?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:34 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 04:34 AM #5 of 15
Who wants to listen to anyone drone on and on about how poor and sad and sick everyone is when we can hear about bombs and people who want to kill us and people we want to kill?
One would assume liberals.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:46 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 04:46 AM #6 of 15
Or everyone, in any case. Socializing thought is an... interesting proposal. I'll maybe start to take it seriously when they begin demanding more conservatives on PBS and NPR.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 06:24 AM #7 of 15
Maybe you people haven't considered that people don't want to actually hear liberal talk radio, which is why it consistently fails everytime it is introduced into the market.

As a somewhat liberal person, I sort of agree with this, in the sense that liberal talk shows may (sometimes) present sensible, decent discussions, but they're often dryer than burnt toast. Liberals may be intelligent (may be), but they're boring.

Whereas conservatives are often so outlandish in their accusations and their logic curiously distorted (though a few conservatives are still sane) that I enjoy listening for the shock value. Conservatives are sometimes borderline schizophrenics and this makes for exciting debate.

Liberal discussion about the global warming threat = fair, but dull. Nothing I haven't heard plenty of times before.

Conservative discussion of how the terrorist agenda is God's wrath over tolerating homosexuality = COMEDY GOLD.

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:52 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 07:52 AM #8 of 15
I didn't know you got broadcasts from Westboro in your area Crash.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kalekkan
Chocobo

Member 697

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:52 AM #9 of 15
Whereas conservatives are often so outlandish in their accusations and their logic curiously distorted (though a few conservatives are still sane) that I enjoy listening for the shock value. Conservatives are sometimes borderline schizophrenics and this makes for exciting debate.
Yeah, I watch the O'Reilly Factor just for this same reason. Maybe that's the deal, liberals find conservative talk shows more entertaining than shows that promote their own agendas.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:30 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 10:30 AM #10 of 15
Conservative talk show hosts complain about liberal media, so now liberal media can report on the saturation of conservative talk shows and radio programs.

That's fair, I guess?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:45 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 01:45 PM #11 of 15
Or everyone, in any case. Socializing thought is an... interesting proposal. I'll maybe start to take it seriously when they begin demanding more conservatives on PBS and NPR.
Hey now, I can't speak for NPR, but The News Hour is one of the most centrist news shows in the country. The amount of conservatism they allow on the show to avoid the "liberal bias" label actually makes it slightly conservative in its slant.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:59 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2007, 09:59 PM #12 of 15
NPR's news shows like All Things Considered and Morning Edition never seem too slanted to the left. Some shows, like Talk of the Nation, depending on the guest or topic go liberal, but I think that's mostly because of the listener base too.

My local NPR station plays an hour of the BBC's The World every day which makes the rest of NPR seem conservative.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:04 AM 1 #13 of 15
I didn't know you got broadcasts from Westboro in your area Crash.
Oklahoma isn't the only residency for hate-enraged morons.

Most amazing jew boots
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 01:03 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 08:03 PM #14 of 15
You should visit France, one of these days. ;_;

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The_Melomane
Go forth and become a happy cabbage

Member 20147

Level 17.46

Feb 2007

Old Jun 24, 2007, 09:07 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 08:07 PM #15 of 15
Where I live in Athens, GA there's a radio show called "Alternative Athens." It's completely unaffiliated with any corporate sponsor and has no commericals. They get their news from BBC and "Between the Lines". I love it because it is slightly liberal, but it also plays great rock. It's actually the station that got me interested in all the stuff that's going down in Venezuela right now.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Brady makes too many PP threads