Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Building My Own PC.. Tips/help Plz !

CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:08 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2007, 04:08 AM #1 of 10
Building My Own PC.. Tips/help Plz !

Hi there

I've built several systems in the 478 socket days for my friends, back then (3 years ago was the last time) procs were PGA as opposed to today's standard LGA ..

Now, this, and the whole PCI-E thingy i'm not up to date about, the rest is pretty standard (Although i have yet to setup WinXP on a SATA drive).

Here's what i'm getting (Sorry if this sounds silly but PLEASE focus on how i can assemble these rather than what i should change) :

Proc : Pentium 4 +641 3.2 GHz / 2M Cache LGA 775
MoBo : Gigabyte P-S3 (Sound + Lan on-board)
RAM : Kingston 1 GB 667
HDD : WD 320 GB SATA
Graphics Card : Powercolor Radeon X1950 Pro 256
PSU : 480W no-name brand ..

The rest i'll transfer from my old PC, an LG DVD+/- Writer and a Sound Blaster Live! card.

If any of you guys have a website or tutorial , or can gimme any direct guidelines/tips that would be MOST appreciated, since i live in a POS country they're all idiots here and i WILL get ripped off if i dont build this thing myself.

This is all about the budget but mostly about getting the best bang for buck, which i KNOW if i leave in a retailer's hands he WILL screw me over, either knowingly or by the sheer power of ignorance.

Thanks in advance !

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 20, 2007, 07:36 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2007, 06:36 AM #2 of 10
Hi there

Proc : Pentium 4 +641 3.2 GHz / 2M Cache LGA 775
MoBo : Gigabyte P-S3 (Sound + Lan on-board)
RAM : Kingston 1 GB 667
HDD : WD 320 GB SATA
Graphics Card : Powercolor Radeon X1950 Pro 256
PSU : 480W no-name brand ..

If any of you guys have a website or tutorial , or can gimme any direct guidelines/tips that would be MOST appreciated, since i live in a POS country they're all idiots here and i WILL get ripped off if i dont build this thing myself.
If you can at all get a IntelCore2Duo, get it over the Pentium4. P4's are nearing their final days.

http://binnyva.tripod.com/binny/link..._assembly.html

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:50 PM #3 of 10
Not much has changed since the P4 days. If you could build a box then I'm sure you can do it now.

How ya doing, buddy?
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:18 AM Local time: Aug 22, 2007, 08:18 AM #4 of 10
I was kinda worried about the different 775 LGA socket, sounds scary to me, since im getting a more expensive mobo.

Thanks for the help guys, keep em coming if you can add anything.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:22 AM #5 of 10
Its pretty much exactly the same dude, just make sure the chip is aligned correctly. There will be a mark on it to show you, and it will probably come with a paper with diagrams and crap. Wear an anti-static strap if you can get one. (12$?)

Post pics when you're done. :P

I was speaking idiomatically.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:58 PM #6 of 10
You're using a no-name PSU?
Honestly, I'd spend the extra $30 or whatever and buy a good one. You will notice the difference, trust me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:35 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2007, 10:35 PM #7 of 10
Seasonic, Antec make good PSUs. Heard Corsair's is decent too. Corsair/Seasonic have long life expectancies and 5 year warranties if I recall.
I'd avoid no-name/cheap PSUs like the plague since you get what you pay for with them, and 480w may not be enough if you're getting a high end video card in the future, depends on your system.

Also seconding getting a non-obsolete dual core cpu. E6600 is a very nice overclocker, probably the best for the money, although the lower end ones would be sufficient if you're on a budget.

Quote:
i WILL get ripped off if i dont build this thing myself.
That's true of any computer that isn't built by yourself. Fucking crapware preloaded microsoft supporting garbage companies.

FELIPE NO
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 24, 2007, 08:43 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2007, 07:43 AM #8 of 10
Corsair PSU is good. I also have heard and used XClio PSUs and they are quite solid and cheaper than others. Right now, to me the E6550 is where it's at. 2.33GHz out of the box is sweet for $180. Check newegg.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:20 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 06:20 AM #9 of 10
It is done !

I shall get a boost of cash in about 3 months, i'll buy a good dual core then (this socket will probably last that long) , afterall the P4 i got was like 75 bucks or something, and i CAN sell it (!!! i love living in egypt..hehe..)..

The PSu is very stable, contrary to what i expected, although i'm not sure how i can make sure the PSU's Wattage really IS 480.. How can i check?

Additional Spam:
The CPU's installation was a bitch tho, when i had to lower the arm to hold the CPU in place, holy shit, my heart musta stopped for a second, it felt like it was crushed under the arm pressure and NOWHERE did i know it was supposed to squeeze that hard. Plus the in-box fan sucked, and the thermal paste already on it was useless, 86 Fucking Degrees in BiOS health monitor !! i had to wipe it off and apply gold-something thermal paste then re-attach it, its pretty hot here so its idle temp is about 28-34 degrees and when in full load hits 50-60 .. Still think its too hot but meh, the guy i bought it from (Everything actually) said if it burns out within this year he'll exchange it for free, so hey what the heck.. heh heh..

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by CryHavoc; Aug 25, 2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Edsplosive
Smoke Some

Member 24171

Level 6.69

Feb 2007

Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:17 AM Local time: Aug 29, 2007, 08:17 PM #10 of 10
Hmmm, I'm not sure if it's been specified (mobo-wise), but not having an SLI ready one can pretty much hurt you in the end.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Building My Own PC.. Tips/help Plz !