Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Dragon Quest Swords Heads to North America

Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:40 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2007, 07:40 PM #1 of 18
Dragon Quest Swords Heads to North America

Along with the release of DQJ Monsters. It seems that Square Enix is now finishing up developing Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. And it seems that the game will be relesed February 26, 2008. Which's a week and a half behind Super Smash Bros. Brawl's date (2-10-08)

Here's my take on the game, from seeing the trailer. The game is a FP-RPG. Which you only use the Wii-Remote to control your characters movement and attacks.

Depending on the angle of your slash -- that will be displayed on screen. Be it an angled slash, vertical or horizontal slash.

Performing spells is also done by the Wii-Remote only. Depending on the spell that you highlighted and clicked on; you will be given these different tasks to do. When you see a stick figury person in the center of the screen. They will show what you need to do.

And when enemies are on the offensive. This is where guarding comes into play. Press and holding the A button brings out your shield. Depending on where the attack is gonna land, you need to point to that spot right away, otherwise you will take damage. And this must be done often, so to reduce the damage done by more bigger and tougher enemies.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 03:55 AM 2 #2 of 18
Can't wait.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:31 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2007, 12:31 PM #3 of 18
Moving to the rpg forum, it's like the vg forum only with more beards.

This looks like another vanilla action rpg only shoe-horned to fit the Wii's gimic controller. Fun the whole family can enjoy etc etc etc yawn...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:08 AM #4 of 18
This is the same game that was announced way back before the Wii launch, and has finally gotten a NA launch date. It's a more fleshed-out version of Kenshin Dragon Quest, a stand-alone game that came with its own sword controller. That game was a ton of fun, even if your arm just about fell off after slashing so many enemies.

My only concern about the Wii version is the $60 MSRP. Why the extra $10, when it doesn't come with any extra peripherals (that I know of)?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:45 AM #5 of 18
RPGamer says it's 49.99. It says it will have special features for america with "Payback Mode" and four new bosses. I'm glad SE finally announced this after it being a launch title in japan. Don't have a wii yet but February is look like a month for me to get one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:07 AM #6 of 18
Ebgames lists it at $49.99 as well. I guess IGN is just misinformed, then. Still, I hope the game has a decent length to it for that price.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:29 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2007, 10:29 AM #7 of 18
Also, unlike the Japanese (or Imported version). The North American version will have extra features as well. Among them are 4 hidden bosses.

FELIPE NO
~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:37 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2007, 05:37 PM #8 of 18
Yeah, ZeroSlash already mentioned that.

This would have been nice in the Wii's launch window, but with games of real substance coming out I'm not sure what place this one could have in the market.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Dec 11, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
ZeroSlash
HIKARI NE NARE!

Member 1662

Level 12.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:58 AM #9 of 18
With Hori playing a part in the development, I'm sure it'll have enough substance to be satisfying. DQ Kenshin, the plug and play game while a bit simple felt like a full game because you had to slash certain ways to get the best hit on an enemy and learn their patterns to block their attacks and when the best time to cast a spell. Watching Tritoch attempt to beat the Dark Dragon pulled all the gimmicks together to make a very challenging boss fight.

trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:43 PM #10 of 18
Most people that played the Japanese version had relatively good impressions. The only downside is the lack of actual content: the game's around 8-10 hours long to go through. The controls anywhere outside of battles (mainly, when you stop to visit towns to buy new equipment and such), weren't that well received, either. But, the battle controls were excellent, supposedly.

I think the western press are going to pan this upon release due to lack of replay value/overall substance.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:08 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2007, 11:08 PM #11 of 18
How I have waited for this game! I got the "old" Japanese plug-n-play version for the TV and I have to say it's one of my favorite games to bring up now and then. It never gets old, I can play it again and again and again! The controls are surprisingly good and the game play is fantastic for a plug-n-play game. You could slash, block, do magic and special sword techniques. This has been my most anticipated game for the Wii and I can't wait to actually get to play this game. I hope they put in a lot of new features in the Wii version that weren't possible to put in the plug-n-play version.

Most amazing jew boots
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 09:01 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 08:01 PM #12 of 18
Gamestop has been shipping this game for several days now. No one's picked this up yet? This will not be a purchase for me, but I would rent it if it's any good. I just can't see it being a very in-depth experience, but we shall see...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:00 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 10:00 PM #13 of 18
*sigh* I bought it. This game sucks, bad, which is a shame too. The first and most prominent problem is the lack of support for any peripherals. A nunchuck would've been more than extremely helpful, since moving with the D-Pad is awkward. You can use the B button though, which off-sets that, but to run you have to hold both buttons. Now, I'm not very well-versed with the Wiimote, but I'd think that would feel awkward to anyone.

The other problem lies in the combat. You're given two options - set a focal point for all your attacks to go through regardless of where you swing your sword, or swing freely. Swinging freely will result in a 90% failure rate.

The worst offender occurs when you have to swing your sword to deflect arrows back at their shooters. While they're not very difficult targets to hit, you're given very little time to position yourself for the swing or set a focal point on the arrow's target (when one is fired, a blue target appears where it's going to hit).

The games looks good though, and the voices are all well done. But it's extremely short and the experience is so shallow and limited that no, I wouldn't recommend you purchase this title.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:19 PM #14 of 18
On the other hand, I love the game and it's pretty much exactly what I've been hoping for since it was announced back around the Wii's launch.

Swinging freely is about as accurate as Kenshin Dragon Quest, which means it can be difficult to hit things until you get used to how your swings are read. A little disappointing that the wiimote hasn't increased accuracy much from the old sword, but the addition of setting a focal point makes targets much easier to hit anyway. Which is good now that arrows have to be deflected to kill archers. Really though, if you have a 90% failure rate when swinging freely then you really suck at this game.

The D-pad movement is awkward in town, but there isn't much of a reason to walk around the place after the initial barrel searching. It may not be the best way to control movement, but it's a hell of a lot better than using the nunchuck would've been. Going through the levels with anything attached to the wiimote would have been a massive pain.

Basically, if you're looking for a deep, engaging game then look elsewhere. If you want a fun first-person-slasher then the game is fantastic. It may not be long, but there's plenty of replay value to the levels.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:39 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 10:39 PM #15 of 18
You can use the B button though, which off-sets that, but to run you have to hold both buttons. Now, I'm not very well-versed with the Wiimote, but I'd think that would feel awkward to anyone.
I run all the time in games where running is an option, and I can say that for me this button combination seems like a last resort design-wise.

Thanks for the run-down on the game. Perhaps I will indeed rent it just to check it out; it sounds like I could beat it over a weekend anyhow.

FELIPE NO
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:22 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2008, 03:22 PM #16 of 18
I pretty much gave up on this game after a few hours of fighting with the poor controls. My brutal opinion is just skip the game unless you are completely gay for anything Dragon Quest related.

Very poor implementation by Square-Enix.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:53 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2008, 11:53 PM #17 of 18
I haven't gotten to play this game yet, but from what it seems I'm in for a disappointment. I'd have hoped they had put some more work into this game so that it wouldn't fail. I loved the plug-n-play game, but I wonder if I'll like this one.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:23 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2008, 05:23 PM #18 of 18
I nabbed it last week and have started to play. The above complaints about the accuracy of focal points are for those who are whiny impatient sacks. This is a delayed launch game, that's how I feel the controls are. As far as swinging freely, you can slash horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, then you can do those three swings on a focal point.

So far, the rest is enjoyable.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Dragon Quest Swords Heads to North America