Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

I'm looking to buy a camera

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:17 AM #1 of 7
I'm looking to buy a camera

Perhaps this belongs in a different board, I don't know. Nevertheless. I'm looking for a camera. I enjoy taking pictures of people and things, but for a while have been stuck with my (terrible) cell phone camera. The contrast, brightness, and resolution is poor. There is one thing I like about it: it is small and actually somewhat concealable. If I want to take a picture of someone that I don't know (don't get the wrong idea about me doing that), a phone is very inconspicuous. I can just hold it up and pretend like I'm checking a text message or something, and take a picture. Despite that, I'm not sure I want to buy a new phone for the purpose of taking pictures, so anyway...

Ideally, my camera will be small and could fit in my pocket comfortably. Secondly, it will take good pics. I have 0 experience with digital cameras, so I have no idea what type of features I should be looking for regarding quality in a camera, so maybe you can help me out. Thirdly, it will be not incredibly expensive. Hopefully less than $300. Since the first two requirements conflict with the last one, I'll have to make some compromises with the price, size, or features. I just want to get a rough idea of what I should be looking at.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:20 AM #2 of 7
Panasonic lumix dmc-fx7 might be rrrrright up your alley ~~

I can think of a lot of things to recommend to you, but i'd suggest going to a camera store or a electronics shop and looking at a camera that looks like it has a form factor you want / is in a price range you want then looking up info about it or asking here, because there are a ton of small ~300 dollar good digital cameras.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 12:48 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 10:48 PM #3 of 7
I got a Nikon Coolpix L1 last month in a last ditch shopping buy before a family vacation. It's 6.1 megapixels and you can probably find it for ~$200, which is a really decent price for the MPs you get.

PROS: Takes really good pictures, colors look great on the prints. It's small and light and looks pretty nice with it's black shell. You also get really good quality videos on the camera too and the price really can't be beat.

CONS: Blur city, unless you have the steady hand of a surgeon. It's not a problem when there's plenty of light out but in darker settings, you can barely get a decent shot without the use of a tripod or placing it on a table or something. Also it uses AA batteries which burn out in like 2 seconds.

Personally if I were to do it again, I'd rather fork over a couple more bucks and get a nicer camera. Canon Powershot SD450 is a (what I hear) a nice 5MP camera and you can find it just under $300.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:10 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 12:10 AM #4 of 7
In my experience, Canon products in general are a good way to go, at least in the way of optics. I've seen, used, and owned Canon digital cameras and camcorders, and even if they're not the best in show in all respects, they hold their own quite nicely.

My current digital still camera is a Kodak EasyShare DX6490 and it takes decent pictures. It's a consumer-grade device, so I know there are better ones on the market than it, but it ran me $300 2 years ago (i.e. dirt cheap now) and was a vast improvement over my 640x480 Sony Mavica.

One thing I can certainly praise Kodak for is their battery life. I used that thing on-and-off for a YEAR without once having to charge the battery. And that was with the LCD viewfinder. It had gotten to the point that I had quite literally forgotten there even was a battery to keep track of. I had gotten so used to "click, power on, shoot" that when I finally had to recharge it came as quite a surprise.

So yeah, I've had good experiences with Kodak and Canon. Of the two, I'd recommend Canon due to a larger sample size of positive history, but you won't get a POS from Kodak either. That's Sony's department. plz die Sony, kthx

Most amazing jew boots

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.

Last edited by CelticWhisper; Jun 17, 2006 at 01:16 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 04:16 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2006, 09:16 AM #5 of 7
I've just bought myself a new camera and ended up going for a Canon IXUS 800 IS (called a Canon PowerShot SD700 IS in the US). I spoke to a load of people I work with about cameras as a lot of them are into photography and have a wide range of digital cameras between them. The common aspect of all their recommendations was Canon. Everyone suggested getting a Canon, a lot of them also suggesting the IXUS range (Canon's compact cameras). I previously had a Casio Elixim, and while it was nice enough I'm already finding the Canon to be a lot easier to use and generally play with.

The one I went for might be a little above the price you're looking to pay, especially considering it's roughly £300, but Canon do a number of other compacts that will certainly fall into your price range.

How ya doing, buddy?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 02:19 PM #6 of 7
Oh, apparently cameras are computers and/or computer hardware.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Void
i turn black thoughts to red

Member 6792

Level 11.90

May 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:02 AM #7 of 7
Heh, this thread sounds exactly like the thread I made last week. http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/ha...ra-thread.html

Well, I finally bought a camera. The Sony Cybershot DSC-T5. It's small and compact as you wish, and after browsing websites like newegg.com and amazon.com for days and days [witnessing shitloads of inflation and deflation] I caught a black one on amazon.com for $229. [when I bought it]

I haven't recieved it yet since it's still "in transit" but the purpose of which I purchased it is exactly as yours', just so I can conceal it and point and shoot whenever I want. Plus prom is coming up and I want it to look sexy with my outfit, rofl.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=502394

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

It went out of stock on Amazon in a day, 3 days for newegg. If I were you, I'd wait until amazon gets them back in stock and buy it when it's around $230 or something.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > I'm looking to buy a camera