Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

An experiment in ADX file formatting...Hamauzu fiends take note! :)

squaretex
OPTIMISM, Captain!

Member 1597

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:42 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2006, 05:42 PM #1 of 15
An experiment in ADX file formatting...Hamauzu fiends take note! :)

With the strides in playing loopable audio streaming over at hcs.com, especially for GameCube audio, I have become infatuated with ADX. This format came into prominence during the DreamCast era, and allows for seamless, loopable tracks.

What is even better...there are tools and tutorials out there about how to make your own!

As an experiment, I ripped all(? hope I didn't miss any...) the loopable tracks from Disc 1 of the Dirge of Cerberus OST, investigated them, and got to work. And for the most part, I think it worked! A couple times I had to...um...cheat.

Anyway, heeeeeeeeeere's a SendSpace for ya!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/khjj5d

Although the files are considerably bigger than MP3s, the loopability more than makes up for it. hcs's in_cube makes it a snap. Still only want one playthrough? You can do that. Traditional two loops? Yep. Three? You bet. Do you want "Counteroffensive" to play over and over and OVER??? Then do it!

Oh yeah...and a bonus. Lian_Kazairl most kindly recorded the unreleased "Tutorial" music. I gave that the ADX spin as well. And I bet my fellow Hmz-fans will love it.

If there's enough demand, maybe I'll go after Disc 2...

p.s. Oh yeah...I also went after "More Complicated" and "Beyond the One" from Star Ocean 3 Director's Cut. I'm guessing that some of you want to hear them also...?

How ya doing, buddy?
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:05 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 10:05 AM #2 of 15
I was going to come in here and say this is kind of a silly idea, but then I look over at my Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack with its single-looped tracks, and realize I keep hitting replay on this MP3 of Gestation from Cave Story. The sizes are bound to be a killer, though.

Where exactly are these tools and tutorials?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:24 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 10:24 PM #3 of 15
I would like to say... congratz. you guys are really damn wonderful <3 :biggrin:

EDIT: does that mean programming-language noob like me could make adx file myself?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.

Last edited by eriol33; Jul 19, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
squaretex
OPTIMISM, Captain!

Member 1597

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:18 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 01:18 PM #4 of 15
Some effort is required, but nothing too complex. Maybe...

And sorry I haven't gotten around to answering your questions, MK. Here goes...

There are quite a few pages on the subject, primarily with changing the music in Dreamcast games. For example:
http://pes4.edgegaming.com/editmusic.html

Now, while it does explain how to set the looping variables, it doesn't tell you what to do if the loop point is in the MIDDLE of the wav file. That is where most of the challenge lies. For that, you'll need a sound editor which can tell you the location of the current marker in the sound by SAMPLES, not time. You have to listen and look at the file to figure out the best looping points. And once you figure out where the end of the loop will go, don't forget to chop off the rest.

Also, one way to cut down on size in the ADXs is to downsample the source wav from 44.1 kHz to - for example - 22.05. I think most true in-game audio does something like this; if I recall, XA files on the PS1 were about 37. So yeah, the sound takes a hit, but uses far less space.

I'm not the best at explaining things sometimes, so I hope there's enough here to get you started. Have fun!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:22 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 01:22 AM #5 of 15
I'm a bit confused, I thought this adx format was developed for gamecube games. Does that mean it could be used as ps2 as well? an alternative to psf2 format?

I'm bit curious about this. would you show me the link to tutorial to adx ripping, squaretex? (since that link you put above is for dreamcast isnt it?)

I was speaking idiomatically.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
squaretex
OPTIMISM, Captain!

Member 1597

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 04:15 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 04:15 PM #6 of 15
Oh, the link isn't about ripping at all, sorry. It's just about making your own custom ADXs and inserting them into a Dreamcast game. Of course, the second part is entirely optional; I just create 'em for listening pleasure.

hcs would know more about ripping that I would.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 04:35 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 01:35 PM #7 of 15
This is pretty cool. Thanks for the info, squaretex! I'm downloading the DoC disc 1 to check it out.

Though I must say, there are probably more optimal formats to use simply for looping tracks -- but I'm not aware of any.

FELIPE NO
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:28 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 07:28 PM #8 of 15
Quote:
Posted by squaretex
Now, while it does explain how to set the looping variables, it doesn't tell you what to do if the loop point is in the MIDDLE of the wav file. That is where most of the challenge lies. For that, you'll need a sound editor which can tell you the location of the current marker in the sound by SAMPLES, not time. You have to listen and look at the file to figure out the best looping points. And once you figure out where the end of the loop will go, don't forget to chop off the rest.
Heck, I can do that. You have to do the same thing to make VGM files, so I've already got the toys for that. Bleah, the ADX encoder is a command line program, though. Oh well, I'll live somehow.

I notice in the tutorial that they say to downsample to 24000 Hz. Is this necessary for Dreamcast output, or a function of the ADX format itself?

Quote:
Posted by eriol33
I'm a bit confused, I thought this adx format was developed for gamecube games. Does that mean it could be used as ps2 as well? an alternative to psf2 format?
You could, but the end result won't be any better or smaller than a PSF2 if you're thinking of using this on streamed music.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
squaretex
OPTIMISM, Captain!

Member 1597

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:17 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 11:17 PM #9 of 15
Originally Posted by Monkey King
I notice in the tutorial that they say to downsample to 24000 Hz. Is this necessary for Dreamcast output, or a function of the ADX format itself?
That's pretty much for Dreamcast, or - as noted - if you want file size over sound quality. I may try it in future experiments, but in this case I wanted the DoC tracks to sound sharp.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Namakemono
I'm the goddamn Superman!

Member 2200

Level 13.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:55 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 05:55 PM #10 of 15
Great idea, Squaretex. I'm downloading it now.

Most amazing jew boots
squaretex
OPTIMISM, Captain!

Member 1597

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 03:17 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 03:17 PM #11 of 15
Alright, I'm gonna be on vacation for about a week or so. But when I get back, I plan on attacking the loopables on Disc 2.

Later, everyone!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:02 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 08:02 AM #12 of 15
On behalf of all Hamauzu-fanatics everywhere, myself included, a VERY big Thanks!!!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
What's all this?
squaretex
OPTIMISM, Captain!

Member 1597

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:06 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 02:06 PM #13 of 15
It has been ages since I've done anything with this soundtrack. Sorry it took so long.

Anyway, here's part 3 of my experiments:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n4cidj

"...part 3? Where's part 2?"

Well, I haven't got to disc 2 of the DoC soundtrack yet. But when the Multiplayer Sound Collection was released recently (thanks again, RyuFAN!), I was prompted back into action. This particular collection is the loopable tracks from that. Yep, enjoy extended versions of "Turks 101", "Pegasus Riders", and so many others.

Now, I'm not sure if "Song of the Gathered" was supposed to looped or not. I like it so much, though, that I decided to try it. So, if you like what I came up with, great; if not, into the recycle bin.

So that's that.
And I WILL get to disc 2...don't wanna deprive anyone of a loopable "Immaculate" for long!

p.s. All of the submissions I made are of ones where looping is obvious. If, when all is said and done, there is one I missed because it's not quite clear to tell where a loop goes, please tell me.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by squaretex; Sep 9, 2006 at 02:09 PM.
squaretex
OPTIMISM, Captain!

Member 1597

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2006, 10:44 PM #14 of 15
...and FINALLY...Part 2:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/00kz5i

If anyone needs part 1 again, let me know and I'll repost it.

How ya doing, buddy?
snakemeat
Hepped up on goofballs

Member 7586

Level 4.50

May 2006

Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:01 PM Local time: Sep 24, 2006, 07:01 PM #15 of 15
Hello, thanks for the tunes, could yuo please post part 1 again?

TIA!

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > An experiment in ADX file formatting...Hamauzu fiends take note! :)